Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Proactiv VS Blackheads.

Patients ask:
Essntially a blackhead is a blocked pore filled with sebum which has oxidized, hence the "black". Therapists will usually steam before doing any extractions, so yes, heat does make them easier to remove but not sure about "just appearing"???

I think I may have a clue as to why I get blackheads specifically - Im using the Johnsons Holiday Skin for the face and I have done for 2 days straight. After the first week of using it a couple of months ago I noticed my blackhead breakout so I stopped - this was around the same time I started Proactive so I did notice a difference when I didnt use the Holiday Skin. As I do like my face with a bit more colour I alternated each day with the Proactive once my skin started to clear up and the blackheads were still appearing but not as frequently. Now, after using it for 2 days straight I've put 2 and 2 together and realised that its this particular gradual tanner. Well, it may not be the sole cause but its a definite contributer.

I've wanted in particular to have abit more colour on my face as its New Years eve tommorow, I havent put any on tonight and Im going to stop using it methinks. Im going to invest in something that is specifically non pore blocking.

I'll let you know if its makes any difference after not using it anymore. But I think it will.

My stepdaughter is now using Proactive a little to my distress.
She is only 14 with the usual teenage skin although she thinks she has bad acne. A couple of months ago I set her up with some basic skincare - a light cream cleanser (she has very dry skin), witch hazel toner, aloe vera gel as moisturiser & a Natio clay mask. I tried to keep it really simple so not to overload her skin with extra chemicals as she sufferes reactions to many things. Well this trip she arrived with the Proactive & I was a bit shocked to read all the ingrediants - lots of Glycolic acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, parabens, parfum, alcohol, ureas, etc. Which would dry the skin out.
She says she sees an improvement & I can say her face looks less red but she still has breakouts. I felt compelled to give her a lecture about how strong these chemicals are & to please keep them away from her eyes. She was wiping them right up under her eyes!!! :shocked: She also was not wearing sunscreen regularly only to the beach. The actives in Proactive would make her skin hyper sensitive to UVs so now I make her wear it everyday & got her some of her own tinted SPF30 to use. Along with a big tube for her bod by Roxy (so it looks cool dudes).
Alas there was another side effect I unfortunantly failed to forsee. She has been wipping the Peroxide off her hands onto my good towels & now they all have bleach stains on them!!!!! :eek: So please if you are using Benzoyl Peroxide, wash your hands after applying it.

No comments: